Since I'm so good at lists, I'll start with one and see what happens:
- I went to Japan for two weeks.
- I still can't quite believe it happened!
- It was amazing.
- It was surreal.
- It was sometimes so beautiful it moved me to tears.
- It was stressful.
- It was sometimes painful (I threw out my back and then tripped down a step and walking became difficult, but I managed to keep going).
- It was new, but familiar.
- It was crowded.
- It was quiet.
- I was greatly inspired.
- I have officially rejected many things about the culture around me. (We can discuss in person if you're interested, but I probably won't post much about that here.)
- I want to go back. If someone offered me the money, I'd be on a plane tomorrow.
- I went to Phoenix for a weekend.
- I used a Motel Emergency Fund for the first time when I had to stop for the night in Cedar City, just three hours from home, because I simply couldn't keep driving.
- I saw a panel discussion with six extraordinary people.
- I had the opportunity to talk to each of them, but decided not to because I just couldn't figure out what to say!
- I had an embarrassing-moment-turned-maybe-funny-story with Deborah Nadoolman Landis, which I may or may not share publicly.
- I finally saw the Hoover Dam. It is impressive and terrifying and really beautiful in its way.
- I met/re-met some really great people.
- An owl flew across a campground, right over my head, just off the east rim of Zion National Park.
- I saw more stars than I can see from my front porch.
- I had a great time just driving. I miss that. I should do it more.
- I rented a nice, zippy, comfortable car. I want to buy one.
- I am still unemployed.
- I'm having Serious Thoughts about what to do for work, because there is much I no longer want to do.
- I have a lot of hope that something will come my way soon. I feel good about the applications I've submitted so far.
- I'm ok with a commute, but not ok with relocating. Not now.
- I'm reevaluating a lot of things in my life, and I have some goals and Life Questions.
- Take up less physical space (exercise more, eat better, declutter).
- Take up much more creative space (conquer fear, experiment, be ok with screwing up).
- What kind of impact do I want to have on those around me?
- Who do I want to be?
- What legacy do I need to live up to?
- How can I make this world more beautiful?
- How can I serve more?
- Follow through with the Things I Reject/Resist.
- Let this change and inspiration happen.
- Be less selfish.
- Be braver.
- Be ok with starting over (this one is HARD).
On this day before Easter, I believe, because of my faith in the Atonement and Resurrection, that all things will be made whole, and "God shall wipe away all tears." And that I can do these things and be a better person for the effort.
2 comments:
Lovely posts and insights. We need to get together and chat and catch up and philosophize.
We talked some about your thoughts on culture, but I'd love to talk more. Reverse culture shock can be fascinating as well.
Post a Comment